Monday, April 6, 2009

An introduction of sorts...

I've no idea where this will go, but my initial intentions for this blog are the following:
  • Random thoughts and observations on Brazilian jiu jitsu
  • techniques I like, techniques that are eluding me, techniques that I keep getting caught with
  • product reviews for grappling/mma gear I've tried
  • and not getting derailed too terribly often (no promises)

As of this posting, I am a one-stripe blue belt. I am a female in my thirties. I've been studying BJJ for several years now (probably around five or more years, but with several interruptions to consistent training), and intend to do so for as long as my mind and body will let me. I've not yet competed, but I don't know that I never will.

I started at a Royce Gracie school, and that is where I was last ranked, and so I feel a bit of loyalty to that network of academies. I may not be black-out drunk on the so-called Gracie koolaid, but you can certainly smell it on my breath.

Presently, I train with a small group of mostly beginners. It's a slow rebuilding process with a new affiliation/school. "Slow and steady wins the race" my grandmother used to say. At this point, I am content and actually refreshed at the instruction we're now receiving: getting the basics down, solidly, before moving on too far ahead.

As for the review end of this blog-- I am a confessed and unabashed gear whore. I love trying out new grappling shorts, rashguards, gis... and will readily extol the virtues (or reveal the shortcomings) of whatever I've bought. So maybe whoever is reading this might either save or confidently blow their hard-earned cash...

This is my first real attempt at blogging. I certainly welcome useful comments, especially as postings pile up and I start questioning techniques. I believe open dialogue is one of the crucial means of improving in this art, and that is probably my largest wish for this blog.

oh, and disclaimer: I won't always be this formal and on task.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah! Welcome to the blogosphere. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool - always good to come across blogs I haven't read before. I just did a big trawl through BJJ Grrl's excellent blogroll: looking forward to reading the rest of your site. :)

    The community aspect of BJJ blogs is one of the things I most like about them, so definitely agree on open dialogue. Speaking of which, I just set up a blogger map, if you're interested in being on it?

    ReplyDelete